November 12, 2008

Phrase From Nearest Book

Well, here's a turn-up. I spotted this meme on Grig Georghiu's blog.
  • Grab the nearest book.
  • Open it to page 56.
  • Find the fifth sentence.
  • Post the text of the sentence in your journal along with these instructions.
  • Don’t dig for your favorite book, the cool book, or the intellectual one: pick the CLOSEST.
As luck would have it I am on a trip to San Diego and the only book I have with me is Rapture for the Geeks by Richard Dooling. [Disclaimer: Richard was kind enough to send me this book in return for a programming favor I did him some time ago]. By the most amazing coincidence, when I examine the bookmark I placed to make a telephone call I see I am currently reading page 56! Here's the fifth sentence:
If he is gay, man needs man; otherwise, man needs woman.
This doesn't actually represent the compelling nature of Dooling's prose particularly well. For that I like the next two sentences rather better:
Not photos or Web clips or blog entries or text messages or e-mails or even video clips taken of or sent by woman. Man needs woman in the flesh, in meatspace, where he-meat meets she-meat to beget meatlets.
Anyway, it will be interesting to see what others come up with.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll play. The closest book on my desk is Chris Fehily's excellent SQL Visual Quickstart Guide from Peachpit.

The fifth sentence on page 56 deals with Binary Large Object Types: "BLOBs are used mainly to store large amounts of multimedia data (graphics, photos, audio, and video, for example)."

Anonymous said...

pterry's "Soul Music":

This involved a lot of green.